Today Ted speaks with Gail Doby and Erin Weir, Co-Founders of Gail Doby Coaching & Consulting.
Gail has been in the interior design industry for over two decades and has owned and managed her own business for a good amount of those years. Today, she taps into her first-hand experience as a business owner to train clients on how to run a highly profitable design business with clarity and confidence.
As Vice President of the consultancy, Erin likewise brings her passion for interior design and its practitioners into her work and has been doing so with the same amount of love and energy she had for the industry when she and Gail founded the company back in 2008.
Listen in as Gail and Erin reveal the keys to business and interior design success, emphasizing the value of building that all-important know, like, and trust factor between business owners and their clients.
- [03:19] Gail and Erin on their backgrounds
- [08:50] How to work on your business instead of in your business
- [16:59] Community of successful business owners to gather in Charleston
- [20:15] Gail and Erin’s goals for the consultancy and how they find clients
- [26:52] Thoughts on the potential recession
- [30:26] Why hire an interior designer
- [39:08] Changing from one architectural style to another in different states
- [43:43] Getting clients to understand the value of good photography
- [50:26] Working with your spouse
- [53:27] How Gail makes big business decisions
- [58:59] Why healthy conflict is necessary in any relationship
Connect with Guest
Key Quotes from Episode
- When I’m working with an owner or their team, I have to be an active listener: I have to listen to what they’re saying but also what they’re not saying.
- Optimism comes when you see the road ahead.
- In a company, if you don’t have conflict, you don’t have people who care.
Connect with the industry’s best tradespeople in your area.