Custom Home Builders
WHERE CAN I FIND THE BEST CUSTOM HOME BUILDERS IN BEND, OREGON?
When looking for a custom home builder, it’s important to cast a wide net. You can use a variety of sources such as the internet, local real estate professionals, and recommendations from local friends and family. You can also consider visits to recently finished homes and subdivisions to see a builder’s work, and maybe even speak with their previous clients.
WHAT DOES THE CUSTOM HOME BUILDER PROCESS LOOK LIKE?
When you start working with a custom home builder, you will be involved in many steps of the process. The custom home building process takes many steps, and while everyone’s experience is different, the basic set of steps is the same.
First, you will purchase the land for your home. Your builder can help you evaluate sites, analyze the benefits of various options, and finalize the design for your home. A typical home has a 12-month building schedule, and usually, your input on interior design, product, and home technology choices, and color decisions are required for 9 of those 12 months.
At the end of the build, your builder will do a final walkthrough with you to make sure that everything is completed to your satisfaction, as well as educate you about the systems in your new home and the warranties and coverage that comes with them.
COMMON QUESTIONS FOR CUSTOM HOME BUILDERS
Your relationship with your custom home builder should be comfortable— you should feel secure asking them every question you think is important. These may include:
- Can you provide any references of recent buyers/occupants?
- What is your financing plan?
- Is the floor plan flexible— can additions be made?
- Can a room, such as the basement, be left unfinished?
- How much customizing can be done versus opting for standard features?
- Can appliances be up or down-graded?
- Are there any additional fees besides the building cost?
- Is there a homeowners’ association, and if so, what are the rules and dues?
- Do you offer a warranty?
- Does the price include landscaping, and is there a guarantee on the plants?
- Are there any local restrictive covenants?
- What is the estimated property tax?
- What are local amenities like?
- Are there any major development plans for the area in the next five years?