Today Ted speaks with Kevin Flower, Principal at Acoustic Designs Group, an architectural lighting design and automation firm based in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Having been fascinated with the world of computers and electricity from an early age, Kevin was inspired to create Light Control, in 2009. The company has grown to service clients both within the U.S. and internationally.
In today’s conversation, Kevin shares how he found massive success in a complex industry a decade after founding his company in the aftermath of the Great Recession.
He explains the ins-and-outs of LED lighting and how it came to become the standard light source in the home. He also speaks on the future of residential lighting technology, the advantages of using human-centric lighting, and how he builds long-term relationships with his ultra-wealthy clients.
- [01:52] Kevin’s upbringing
- [09:38] Building Acoustic Designs Group
- [15:52] Lessons learned from working with moguls of industry
- [18:58] The rise of LED lighting
- [23:20] Dealing with issues while working on projects
- [26:03] Managing expectations with clients
- [29:30] Staying on the cutting edge in a complex industry
- [34:07] Kevin’s standout projects
- [38:29] The moment Kevin realized he had a thriving business
- [39:40] How Kevin spends time with his family
- [42:00] Where Kevin sees the business five years from now
- [45:57] Staying focused on different job for years at a time
- [51:28] Who is Lutron and what do they do?
- [54:26] Did Kevin ever expect to be as successful as he is now?
Connect with Guest
Key Quotes from Episode
- We have the saying, “No bad job.” Whatever it takes to make the job right, we do it.
- I’m a firm believer that light does affect your mood.
- Technology, especially when it comes to LEDs, is ever-changing. The key is to keep finding ways to make it easier for clients to use as time goes.
Connect with the industry’s best tradespeople in your area.