Today Ted speaks with Scott Jaffa, a licensed architect, licensed general contractor, and certified green building professional. He is the President at Jaffa Group, a firm that he built alongside his father, known for its impressive portfolio of award-winning homes in the Park City area.
Listen in as Scott shares why he prizes personal responsibility above all else, particularly as a business owner. “They hire me,” he says, “because they’ve seen what I do, and they know I care about every little detail that goes on in the house from the beginning to the end, and I don’t leave anything to anybody else.”
Scott also makes a case for a holistic approach, where the architect, builder, and designer strive to always be on the same page by working closely with one another throughout the entire process.
An experienced traveler, he also says that the best builds and designs are those that feel organic, as if they’ve grown out of their specific site and specific property, respectful of the neighbors, taking advantage of the views, and addressing even the sunlight and weather.
Despite an immensely successful career spanning over three decades, Scott continues to view every new project as a challenge and makes it a point to keep his mind open to the vision and the ideas of his high-net-worth clientele.
Ultimately, it all comes down to family for Scott. He touches on the legacy he wants to leave as a father and the lessons he wants his children carry with them regarding the American Dream.
- How Scott developed his attention to detail and gains his clients’ trust virtually
- Scott’s typical timeline for a project
- Scott on his father’s influence
- Why more firms need to adopt a holistic approach to tackling projects
- Defining “mountain modern” and how design trends evolve over time
- How Scott adapts his personal style to houses in different locations
- How Jaffa Group is able to build up to three houses at one time
- Putting yourself in the client’s shoes
- Why lighting can make or break a house
- Scott on his clientele
- Traveling with an architect’s eye
- Treating every project as a new challenge
- What Scott has learned from working with headstrong high-income clients
- Scott on the vital importance of putting family first
- Scott on how anyone can live the American Dream
Connect with Jaffa Group
Key Quotes from Episode
- My clients hire me because they’ve seen what I do, and they know I care about every little detail that goes on in the house from the beginning to the end, and I don’t leave anything to anybody else.
- The architect needs to be intrinsic in the construction process and part of every detail that is going on; otherwise it’s just a mess, or you’re just tearing out and putting in.
- When we design, it has to feel like it belongs on the property, on the site, in Park City, in Utah.
- Lighting can make or break a house.
- If you do something [in the house] right and design it and think through every detail, it will stand the test of time.
Connect with the industry’s best tradespeople in your area.